Print NewsHealthDutch authorities to investigate Limerick woman’s deathBy Bernie English – August 3, 2019 1598 Linkedin Twitter The late Adrienne CullenThe Dutch Health Inspectorate confirmed this week that it is to open a “further investigation” into the case of Adrienne Cullen, the 58-year-old Limerick woman who died of cervical cancer last New Year’s Eve as a result of medical negligence by a university hospital in the Netherlands.Ms Cullen, who got the highest ever award for pain and suffering in a Dutch medical negligence case after she developed terminal cancer because of a missing test diagnosis, wanted greater transparency in the testing regime and called at the time of her half a million euro award for gagging clauses to be outlawed.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a letter to Ms Cullen’s widower, Peter Cluskey, the inspectorate said the decision had been taken at a meeting of its own experts on July 23 “to further investigate this case”.It said the investigation would begin immediately and continue through August and September.The decision has been taken on foot of the inspectorate’s assessment of an internal report by the hospital, UMC (University Medical Centre) Utrecht, in May, which showed that there had been not one but two opportunities to save Ms Cullen’s life by diagnosing what was then early-stage cancer.In one case, the results of a tissue sample were lost in 2011 before they reached her doctor. In the second case, a pathologist – and a pathology technician – misread a tissue sample that 11 of his peers in other Dutch hospitals were subsequently all able to analyse as cancerous.Mr Cluskey said he welcomed the investigation because he hoped it would have an independence that the May report – where the hospital essentially investigated itself – did not have, and could not possibly have had.“I am not alone in the view that the UMC Utrecht report was unbalanced. It was unbalanced because while the majority of the failings it uncovered were in the Pathology Department, the bulk of its focus seemed, inexplicably, to have been on what the Gynaecology Department could have done better. Ironically, Adrienne’s two doctors in gynaecology were the only ones who tried to help and support her.”And when the missing test was found, the hospital offered “no apology or explanation” for the error, Ms Cullen said at the time.She sued the hospital for medical negligence and was awarded €545,000, with €350,000 of the award listed as a settlement for pain and suffering.The 58-year-old University College Cork Sociology and Philosophy described the parallels between her own story and that of fellow Limerick women’s health campaigner Vicky Phelan as “striking and deeply disturbing”.Speaking with the Limerick Post shortly before her death and after being conferred with an honorary doctorate in laws at UCC, Ms Cullen – a former Salesians student who lived in Castletroy and later on the Ennis Road – said that she is determined to have a no-gagging clause policy enshrined in EU law.“There has to be an absolute ban in the EU on using confidentiality agreements which are gagging clauses between patients and their hospitals because they do not belong there,” she said.Ms Cullen, who was a respected journalist, said that the lack of any apology or explanation from the hospital added to her suffering.“It was the hospital that put up a wall of silence. They pulled down the shutters and tried to minimise what happened.“Myself and my husband were traumatised by that. We couldn’t believe it,” she said. WhatsApp Advertisement Email Previous articleWalking 7000 miles in the shoes of cancer patientsNext articleHeroin needles dumped in scenic spot Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Facebook
Previous articleNo extra pay for Elkhart County Emergency Management workersNext articleNappanee Apple Festival cancelled for 2020 Carl Stutsman Google+ Pinterest FILE – This April 3, 2019, file photo shows a tip box is filled with U.S. currency in New York. For millennials who are passionate about contributing to the greater good, there are ways to prioritize charitable giving and make the greatest impact on issues they care about (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File) Police say the victim neither knew the suspect or that he had even lost his ID, which was how Jeff Niedbalski was able to access the account.St. Joseph County Police were called on July 10th to a bank for fraud in progress where they found Niedbalski in a car with another man. Police say he initially lied to them, twice, giving them fake names after the driver had already identified him. That day he had tried to take $1400 out of the account, but admitted to getting money at least twice before. He also had a stolen check from the victim.His charges include false informing, attempted theft, and synthetic identity deception. Read more here with ABC 57 News WhatsApp IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Pinterest Man arrested for using stolen ID to take money from bank Twitter Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Google+ Facebook By Carl Stutsman – July 14, 2020 0 296
The Panama Canal Authority has launched an investigation into a collision involving two bulkers, which occurred in the morning hours of March 11.According to media reports, the vessels in question are the 37,700 dwt, 2018-built SE Nicky, and the 63,400 dwt Iolaos, built in 2016.The units, operated by Taiwan’s Sincere Industrial and Greek Lavinia Corporation, respectively, made contact in front of the locks of Pedro Miguel, according to La Prensa.However, the collision did not affect ship transits and both vessels continued their transit through the waterway. There were no reports of injuries to the vessels’ crews.“After attending the case according to security protocols, and as dictated by the operating rules of the Panama Canal, an investigation has been initiated to determine the causes of the incident,” the ACP said via social media.The vessels were transiting in the same direction. Following the incident both SE Nicky and Iolaos sailed to Panama’s Limon Bay Anchorage. AIS data provided by Marine Traffic shows that Iolaos is still anchored off Colón, while SE Nicky continued its voyage towards Port of Mobile, US. World Maritime News Staff
Published on April 29, 2013 at 12:19 am Facebook Twitter Google+ With a win over Georgetown on Sunday, Syracuse defended its Big East regular-season title and repeated as champions.The No. 5 Orange (14-3, 8-0 Big East) topped the No. 7 Hoyas (12-4, 6-2), 13-7, in Washington on Sunday after defeating No. 17 Loyola (Md.) (10-7, 6-2), 19-9, in Baltimore on Friday. SU has put together a nine-game winning streak while extending its Big East regular-season winning streak to 20.Syracuse finished undefeated in Big East play for the second straight year and third time in program history. The Orange claimed its sixth league title in the last seven years and clinched the No. 1 seed in the Big East tournament next weekend.Freshman attack Kayla Treanor tied her season high with five goals against Loyola, then bested it with a six-goal performance at Georgetown. With an assist in each game, Treanor finished the weekend with 13 points.Junior attack Alyssa Murray recorded three goals and five assists on Friday night and followed it up with a three-goal, two-assist outing against the Hoyas. Murray’s 13-point road trip gives her a Big East-leading 83 on the season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSophomore goalie Kelsey Richardson set a season-high with nine saves against Georgetown while allowing just two goals. The Syracuse defense held GU to only five shots in the first half and the Hoyas committed 19 turnovers throughout the game.On Thursday, the Orange returns to Washington for the Big East tournament, where it’ll play No. 4 seed Connecticut at 5:30 p.m. in the first round. Syracuse is looking to win it for the third time. SU won the inaugural tournament in 2007 and captured the title again in 2008.Softball takes 1-of-3 at South FloridaSyracuse (20-26, 8-11 Big East) dropped two of three games at South Florida (40-14, 18-3) this weekend and senior Stacy Kuwik threw all 20.2 innings.The Bulls have been one of the toughest teams in the Big East this season, and snapped a three-game Orange winning streak by bookending the series with two one-run victories. Kuwik gave up just four earned runs on the weekend.In the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, South Florida edged the Orange 3-2. SU fell behind early and could only muster two unearned runs thanks to spotty fielding from the Bulls.Kuwik threw a complete game in the loss, allowing three runs on seven hits, and striking out four. Junior Sara Nevins notched her 22nd win of the season for the Bulls, striking out 14 Orange hitters in six innings while giving up no earned runs.SU battled back in game two, winning the second game 4-1 on the back of Shirley Daniels. Daniels hit two doubles, drove in two runs and broke a 1-1 tie in the sixth inning, plating senior Emily Thompson. Junior first baseman Jasmine Watson followed Daniels with a two-run home run to extend the lead.Kuwik pitched another complete game to earn her 14th win of the season, matching her total from a year ago. Kuwik gave up just one run on six hits.In Sunday’s rubber match, the Orange fought into extra innings but fell to the Bulls, 2-1. Kuwik threw yet another complete game, but SU could only score one run on three hits against senior Lindsey Richardson and sophomore Sam Greiner.Next the Orange will meet Cornell for a doubleheader at SU Softball Stadium on Tuesday, before wrapping up Big East play hosting a weekend series against Providence on May 4-5.Track & field takes competes in pair of meetsSyracuse competed at two different meets last weekend.The sprinters and hurdlers traveled to Pennsylvania to race in the 119th Penn Relays, the oldest track and field competition in the United States. The meet’s Saturday attendance has averaged 45,000 spectators for the last six years, and makes the meet the best attended track event in the country each year, and one of the best attended in the world.In front of the large crowd, junior Donald Pollitt finished in second place in the 110m hurdles championship race (13.85 seconds), just 0.18 seconds behind Wayne Davis II from Texas A&M, who finished in first. Pollitt’s time was a personal record.In the same race, senior Amadou Gueye placed in fifth with a time of 14.03 seconds, tying a personal record.Pollitt also competed in the 4×100 IC4A relays with seniors Colin Reno and Will Watson and junior Jaquan Holland. The quartet finished in fourth place with a time of 41.25 seconds.On Sunday, the distance runners competed at the Big Red Invitational at Cornell.In the women’s 100-meter, junior Sa’De Lewis took second place (13.53 seconds), finishing .09 seconds behind first.Freshmen Brianna Nerud and Margo Malone took first and second in the women’s 1,500-meter run, finishing in 4:30.77 and 4:31.02 respectively. In the same race, SU sophomore Maura Linde finished in seventh (4:42.41).Sophomore Molly Malone won the women’s 800-meter run with a time of 2:11.13, while freshman Ryan Urie won the men’s 800 with a time of 1:52.91.Also taking a first place finish for SU was sophomore Juris Silenieks, who won the men’s 10k in 31:45.18.Next weekend, SU will compete in the Big East Outdoor Championships at Rutgers on May 3, where runners will attempt to qualify for the NCAA East Regional in Greensboro, N.C., on May 23.– Compiled by The Daily Orange Sports staff, [email protected] Comments
The previously postponed races at Dover and Michigan are now part of Saturday-Sunday doubleheaders at those respective tracks in August.Because New York requires people to quarantine for 14 days after traveling from one of the states impacted heavily by COVID-19 (including North Carolina), the Watkins Glen race on Aug. 16 was moved to the Daytona road course. According to The Athletic, NASCAR tried to get a quarantine waiver for its Watkins Glen races but was denied by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.The Aug. 16 race will be the NASCAR Cup Series’ first on the road course at Daytona. The start time for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway is earlier than the race’s original start time because, at least for 2020, it’s no longer a Saturday night race. The Quaker State 400 at Kentucky is now a Sunday afternoon race.Due to the same coronavirus pandemic-related issues that shut down live sports in March, NASCAR created a modified schedule of races for May, June and July that continues today at 2:30 p.m. ET at the 1.5-mile oval located in between Louisville and Cincinnati. The date and start time for the Cup race at Kentucky were changed to account for other series’ events at the same track on the same weekend. Scheduled to take the green flag shortly after 2:30 p.m. ET, Sunday’s race at Kentucky will feature 267 laps and stage lengths of 80, 80 and 107 laps for a total of 400 miles.Below is all you need to know about the schedule for Sunday’s NASCAR race at Kentucky and beyond.MORE: Watch today’s NASCAR race live with fuboTV (7-day free trial)What time does the NASCAR race start today?Race: Quaker State 400 presented by Walmart at Kentucky SpeedwayDate: Sunday, July 12 Start time: 2:30 p.m. ETThe green flag for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Kentucky will wave shortly after 2:30 p.m. ET, assuming there are no rain or lightning delays as there have been so often since NASCAR returned to live racing in May. The good news is Kentucky Speedway does have lights in the event weather delays the race at any point.The Kentucky race was moved from its originally scheduled 7:30 p.m. ET start time on Saturday, July 11 to an afternoon race on Sunday to account for the Truck Series, Xfinity Series and ARCA Series racing at the same track in the same weekend.Sunday’s race at Kentucky is scheduled for 267 laps around the 1.5 mile oval with stage lengths of 80, 80 and 107 laps.What channel is NASCAR on today?TV channel: FS1Live stream: Fox Sports Go | fuboTV (7-day free trial)FS1 is the TV channel for Sunday’s race at Kentucky even though NBCSN was originally scheduled to broadcast the race. The coronavirus-related NASCAR schedule shake-up also moved around some broadcasts in the middle of the 2020 season.FS1 is carried by all major pay TV distributors. Fox Sports’ site has a “find FS1” feature so viewers can find channel listings in their area and on their system.As has been the case for all Cup Series races on Fox and FS1 since NASCAR returned to racing in May, Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon will call Sunday’s race at Kentucky. They will do so remotely from the Fox studio rather than the booth at the track.After Sunday’s race at Kentucky, Fox Sports will broadcast one more Cup race (Wednesday night’s All-Star Race at Bristol, also on FS1) before NBC and NBCSN officially take over as the TV channels for the rest of the NASCAR Cup Series season.NBC was able to keep last week’s Brickyard 400 in part because the race was part of a historic doubleheader with an IndyCar race, which took place on the IMS road course the day prior and broadcast live on NBC.NASCAR live stream for Kentucky raceAnybody who has a cable or satellite subscription can stream Sunday’s NASCAR race at Kentucky live via Fox Sports Go. This should be the preferred route for a viewer who has such a subscription but isn’t able to get in front of his or her TV.For those who don’t have a cable or satellite subscription, there are five OTT TV streaming options that carry FS1 — Sling, Hulu, YouTubeTV, fuboTV and AT&T Now. Of the five, Hulu, YouTubeTV and fuboTV offer free trial options.Below are links to each.SlingHulu (free trial)YouTubeTV (free trial)fuboTV (free trial)AT&T NowNASCAR schedule 2020NASCAR on July 8 released its latest revised Cup Series schedule through August of 2020. It remains committed to running 36 races, four of which were completed before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the sports world. NASCAR hopes to keep its 10 playoff races in the fall intact and at their original tracks.Below is the schedule revision for the Cup Series regular season, starting with the races at Darlington the Cup Series ran in its return in May.DateTrackTV channelStart timeSun., May 17DarlingtonFOX3:30 p.m. ETWed., May 20DarlingtonFS17:30 p.m. ETSun., May 24CharlotteFOX6 p.m. ETWed., May 27CharlotteFS18 p.m. ETSun, May 31BristolFS13:30 p.m. ETSun, June 7AtlantaFOX3 p.m. ETWed, June 10MartinsvilleFS17 p.m. ETSun, June 14Homestead-MiamiFOX3:30 p.m. ETSun, June 21TalladegaFOX3 p.m. ETSat., June 27PoconoFOX3:30 p.m. ETSun., June 28PoconoFS14 p.m. ETSun., July 5IndianapolisNBC4 p.m. ETSun., July 12KentuckyFS12:30 p.m. ETWed., July 15Bristol (All-Star Race)FS18:30 p.m. ETSun., July 19TexasNBCSN3 p.m. ETThurs., July 23KansasNBCSN7:30 p.m. ETSun., Aug. 2New HampshireNBCSN3 p.m. ETSat., Aug. 8MichiganNBCSN4 p.m. ETSun., Aug. 9MichiganNBCSN4:30 p.m. ETSun., Aug. 16Daytona (road course)NBC3 p.m. ETSat., Aug. 22DoverNBCSN4 p.m. ETSun. Aug. 23DoverNBCSN4 p.m. ETSat., Aug. 29DaytonaNBC7:30 p.m. ETThe Darlington race on May 17 ran instead of the the Chicagoland race that was originally scheduled for June 21. The Darlington race on May 20 ran instead of the postponed Richmond race that was originally scheduled for April 19. The Charlotte race on May 27 ran instead of the Sonoma race that was originally scheduled for June 14.The Pocono doubleheader remained as previously scheduled for the final weekend of June, with the Cup Series racing on back-to-back days. Those races were presented on Fox (and FS1) rather than on NBC. Fox’s will close its coverage this season with the All-Star Race at Bristol on July 15 before NBC takes over, but NBC still carried the Brickyard 400 on July 5.