APTN National News OTTAWA–The subsidiary of a Manitoba chiefs organization currently under a forensic investigation has been awarded a Health Canada contract to distribute prescription medicine.The federal Public Works department awarded the $328, 750 contract, which includes provisions for two one-year options, to Muskehki Distributors Inc. Muskehki is majority owned by Manitoba Keewatinow Okimakanak Inc. (MKO) and North West Company in a 60-40 partnership. The windfall from the contract could hit the millions of dollars as a result of profits from fees from prescription and over the counter medication along with sales of medical supplies and equipment.Public Works said Muskehki beat out Grand Medicine Health Services for the contract. Public Works awarded the contract on behalf of Health Canada on Jan. 21,When asked if the current forensic audit faced by MKO impacted Muskehki’s winning bid, Public Works said the contract was awarded “in accordance with the evaluation criteria specified in the request for proposals.”Aboriginal Affairs said in a statement that MKO was still under a “forensic investigation” triggered by a complaint against the organization which represents 30 Manitoba communities that rate among the poorest in the country.The forensic audit, conducted by KPMG, is probing MKO’s use of federal training dollars. Auditors have so far uncovered that $1.9 million from a federal training program never made it to MKO’s member communities. The money is supposed to be used to provide training to students looking upgrade their education and find employment.MKO Grand Chief David Harper has faced criticism from member chiefs over the use of MKO funds for personal expenses. Two communities have already quit the organization over its financial health.Harper has said he’s done nothing [email protected]@APTNNews
Five more flu deaths reported, flu cases reach new season high Posted: March 27, 2019 Categories: Health, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter March 27, 2019 Updated: 10:54 PM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Local health officials received reports of five more flu-related deaths last week in San Diego County, while confirmed flu cases reached a new season high, it was announced today.Only one of the five residents to die had no additional medical issues– a 40-year-old North County man. He also had no record of receiving a flu vaccination, according to the county. The other four residents had additional medical issues and ranged from 47 to 90 years old.County officials confirmed 675 flu cases last week, beating the previous season high of 618 cases. Last week’s case total is also a 21 percent jump over the previous week’s 536 cases. Because of the continued flu activity levels, the county extended its order for unvaccinated health care workers to wear a mask in patient care areas to the end of April.The county Health and Human Services Agency has confirmed 54 flu deaths and 7,886 influenza cases so far this season. At this point last year, county officials had confirmed 318 deaths and 19,841 cases.“People should continue getting vaccinated and taking other preventative measures, especially those at higher risk of developing complications,” said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s public health officer. “In addition to getting vaccinated, people should practice good hand hygiene.”County health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention strongly advise the annual flu vaccination for everyone 6 months and older, especially demographics with a heightened risk of serious complications, such as pregnant women, people older than 65 and people with chronic conditions.Recent flu seasons have extended as late into the year as May, according to county health officials.Flu shots are available at doctors’ offices, retail pharmacies, community clinics and the county’s public health centers. Residents can also call 211 or visit the county’s immunization program website, sdiz.org, for a list of county locations administering free vaccines. KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Members of the House-Senate conference committee negotiating a compromise version of the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill are hoping to finish talks by next week.Many issues remain unresolved, but committee leaders are sufficiently optimistic that conferees will continue to makes steady progress that a vote by the House has been tentatively scheduled for July 24, reported CQ Roll Call.Committee members had been scheduled to meet at the subcommittee level last week to reconcile the two versions of the legislation, but those talks were cancelled due to floor votes. Those negotiations will continue this week. The conference’s aggressive schedule is intended to meet the goal of the chairmen of the Armed Service committees, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), for both chambers to vote on the final version of the legislation prior to the August recess.A looming veto threat from President Obama, though, means the bill still may be unsettled in the fall. Obama’s opposition primarily stems from the measure’s reliance on DOD’s war account to sidestep the Budget Control Act spending caps as well as its lack of language authorizing a new BRAC round.