4 November 2009South Africa’s First National Bank has started operating in Zambia, taking advantage of an investor-friendly environment with low political risk to expand in the southern African country.Since receiving its Zambian banking licence in November 2008, First National Bank (FNB) has opened three full-service branches, including a commercial branch, in Lusaka, and a branch in Zambia’s copper belt. A further two branches have already been planned for 2010.“Despite the current global economic climate, Zambia provides an investor-friendly environment and is a low political risk country,” FNB chief executive Michael Jordaan said in a statement last week, coinciding with the official opening of FNB’s first branch by Zambian President Rupiah Banda.“FNB believes that it can add value to the Zambian banking industry by bringing the best of our acquired skills and knowledge on the continent in terms of our innovative products, services and technology,” Jordaan said.“One of our key strategic focus areas is to deliver innovative banking services to all our customers in Africa by further expanding outside of South Africa. In line with this, FNB’s vision is to be the pre-eminent financial services group in South Africa and the rest of Africa.”FNB Zambia CEO Richard Hudson said the bank’s Zambian offerings included branches and ATMs, as well as electronic and cellphone banking. “To ensure efficient execution, our strategy is to roll out products, services and channels in a phased approach.“In addition, FNB has a multi-currency product offering that offers accounts in five different currencies,” Hudson said. “It is also the group’s first subsidiary to utilise full satellite technology.”Hudson said he believed that the Zambian personal and business banking environment was open and receptive to new market players.“FNB has industry leading innovations which have been successfully launched in other African countries, and now Zambia will reap the benefits of FNB’s innovative thinking,” he said.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
DashboardA one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences. Today’s PaperFind mobile-friendly version of articles from the day’s newspaper in one easy-to-read list. Subscribe Now Already have an account ? Sign in Faster pagesMove smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly. You have reached your limit for free articles this month.Register to The Hindu for free and get unlimited access for 30 days. Subscription Benefits Include Sign up for a 30-day free trial. Sign Up Personalised recommendationsA select list of articles that match your interests and tastes. BriefingWe brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day. Unlimited AccessEnjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations. *Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
The Pakistani cricket team would not play in Mumbai during its tour of India starting in December owing to the threat by Shiv Sena, sources said on Wednesday.The Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI) has written to the government seeking permission for the Pak team’s tour. Its proposed itinerary has no mention of Mumbai.Opposing some Pakistani artistes’ participation in a TV reality show, the Shiv Sena had also threatened that it would not allow Pakistan cricket team to play in Mumbai because of its role in terror activities against India.The BCCI has written to the ministries of home affairs, external affairs and sports and youth affairs for the Pak team’s tour of India.The visitors are set to play three ODIs and two Twenty-20 matches between December 28 and January 6.
LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Serbia’s Novak Djokovic (L) and Switzerland’s Roger Federer shake hands at the end of their men’s singles semi-final tennis match on day six of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 – Rolex Paris Masters – indoor tennis tournament at The AccorHotels Arena in Paris, on November 3, 2018. (Photo by Anne-Christine POUJOULAT / AFP)Roger Federer Sunday said he planned to speak to fellow big guns Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray about the future of ATP Tour chief Chris Kermode after reports of a move to oust him.Britain’s Daily Telegraph said it had seen a strongly worded email sent out by ATP player council member Vasek Pospisil to players ranked between 50 and 100.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Magic edge Celtics for 2nd time Federer said he was not on top of what was going on but planned to speak with his colleagues about it.“I was going to speak to some of the council members. I’m practising with one of them this afternoon, Robin Haase,” he said ahead of the Australian Open.“I would like to hear a little bit from him how the council meeting (on Saturday) went, where their general feel is about leadership in the ATP.”Federer added: “We’ve had a good five, six years now under Chris’ leadership. Obviously it’s an important role. “We need to look at it very thoroughly. I need to speak with Novak, Rafa, and Andy a little bit just to get their take on it all.”ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion It reportedly called for the workforce to “start acting and running like a business not like a bunch of scared kids … we need a CEO that first and foremost represents OUR interests”.The email added that “the governance structure of the ATP favors the interests of the tournaments and its (their) owners … It’s time for a change and it can be achieved by staying unified and demanding what we deserve for our hard work”. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe ATP board — comprised of three tournament representatives and three player representatives — is expected to vote on a possible renewal of Kermode’s contract this month.He needs two of the three board members from each side of the ATP to support him. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Adding to the ATP board woes was member Justin Gimelstob pleading not guilty last month to a felony battery charge in a Los Angeles court.The two-time Grand Slam mixed doubles champion was accused of attacking one-time friend Randall Kaplan. He pleaded not guilty.“With the board member (Gimelstob), we know the situation. It’s pending,” said Federer.“We’re waiting to see what’s going to happen. I know him well. So we’ll see what the situation is there. “But it’s definitely interesting times, I’d like to call it, not bad times in our sport,” he added. “I think it’s maybe also a bit of a transition time. So it will be interesting to see what’s going to happen.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READ Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? View comments