USC juniors Darnell Bing, Winston Justice and Fred Matua are expected to announce this weekend they will turn pro. “That’s what I’m guessing,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “I don’t know what to tell you.” Justice and Matua are expected to announce today they are turning pro; Bing will make his announcement Sunday. Justice and Matua already hired agents, and Matua’s departure especially angered USC coaches. Cushing surgery: Linebacker Brian Cushing underwent successful shoulder surgery Friday. “It went well, I might be able to make it back for spring practice, I hope,” Cushing said. Scott Wolf, (818) 713-3607 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita “It angers me,” offensive line coach Pat Ruel said. “His agents told him he’s going the first day of the draft. That’s what they told him. They are pieces of garbage.” None of the players spoke to Carroll on Friday and their departures would mean five underclassmen left USC, including tailbacks Reggie Bush and LenDale White. Sources said Matua wants to leave to take care of his sick mother. No Papadakis visit: USC recruits will not visit Papadakis Taverna restaurant in San Pedro tonight, because the compliance office is investigating whether it violates NCAA rules. “It’s on hold for now,” a member of the football program said Friday. The restaurant is owned by former USC player John Papadakis.
Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games NGCP on security risk: Chinese just technical advisers Portugal’s Ines Henriques celebrates after winning the gold medal and setting a new world record in the women’s 50-kilometer race walk during the World Athletics Championships in London Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)LONDON — The first women’s 50-kilometer walk at the world championships produced a world record.Ines Henriques of Portugal bettered her own mark on Sunday by finishing in 4 hours, 5 minutes, 56 seconds on the two-kilometer loop in central London.ADVERTISEMENT NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Football, Netball, Water polo bets open PH bid Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters LATEST STORIES The Frenchman’s time was the second fastest in history. Diniz set the world record of 3:32:33 in 2014.“A lot of training has gone into this – cycling, swimming – everything for this 50 (kilometer) walk,” Diniz said. “Last night I kept away from watching the TV because I did not want to get too excited. I went to bed at 9 because I knew it was going to be my day today.”Hirooki Arai was second in 3:41:17, two seconds ahead of Japanese teammate Kai Kobayashi in third.The 20-kilometer walks were also held Sunday. Yang Jiayu of China won the women’s event in a personal best time of 1:26:18. She beat Maria Guadalupe Gonzalez of Mexico by only 1 second.Antonella Palmisano of Italy was third in 1:26:36.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games Lyu Xiuzhi had been in line for bronze, but the Chinese walker was disqualified with about 50 meters to go.“In the last 100 (meters) I was in a hurry,” Lyu said. “I forgot that I already had a medal.”The men’s 20K was also close. Eider Arevalo beat 18-year-old Sergei Shirobokov of Russia by two seconds to win gold.The Colombian finished in 1:18:53. Caio Bonfim of Brazil was third in 1:19:04.Action will return to the Olympic Stadium later in the evening on the final day of the championships, and the United States is expected to add more to its medal haul in the 4×400-meter relays.American great Allyson Felix is favored to win a 16th world championship medal.Other finals are in the women’s 800, 5,000 and discus, and the men’s high jump and 1,500.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ View comments Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo “The last 5 (kilometers) were really tough,” said Henriques, whose previous world record was 4:08:26. “My goal was to go under 4 hours and 6 minutes.”Yin Hang was second in 4:08:58, followed by Chinese teammate Yang Shuqing in 4:20:49.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsOnly seven women started the race, which was being run at the worlds for the first time, and only four finished.In the men’s 50K, Yohann Diniz of France won in 3:33:12. At 39, Diniz is the oldest man to win a gold medal at the world championships. MOST READ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side
LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Serbia’s Novak Djokovic (L) and Switzerland’s Roger Federer shake hands at the end of their men’s singles semi-final tennis match on day six of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 – Rolex Paris Masters – indoor tennis tournament at The AccorHotels Arena in Paris, on November 3, 2018. (Photo by Anne-Christine POUJOULAT / AFP)Roger Federer Sunday said he planned to speak to fellow big guns Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray about the future of ATP Tour chief Chris Kermode after reports of a move to oust him.Britain’s Daily Telegraph said it had seen a strongly worded email sent out by ATP player council member Vasek Pospisil to players ranked between 50 and 100.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Magic edge Celtics for 2nd time Federer said he was not on top of what was going on but planned to speak with his colleagues about it.“I was going to speak to some of the council members. I’m practising with one of them this afternoon, Robin Haase,” he said ahead of the Australian Open.“I would like to hear a little bit from him how the council meeting (on Saturday) went, where their general feel is about leadership in the ATP.”Federer added: “We’ve had a good five, six years now under Chris’ leadership. Obviously it’s an important role. “We need to look at it very thoroughly. I need to speak with Novak, Rafa, and Andy a little bit just to get their take on it all.”ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion It reportedly called for the workforce to “start acting and running like a business not like a bunch of scared kids … we need a CEO that first and foremost represents OUR interests”.The email added that “the governance structure of the ATP favors the interests of the tournaments and its (their) owners … It’s time for a change and it can be achieved by staying unified and demanding what we deserve for our hard work”. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe ATP board — comprised of three tournament representatives and three player representatives — is expected to vote on a possible renewal of Kermode’s contract this month.He needs two of the three board members from each side of the ATP to support him. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Adding to the ATP board woes was member Justin Gimelstob pleading not guilty last month to a felony battery charge in a Los Angeles court.The two-time Grand Slam mixed doubles champion was accused of attacking one-time friend Randall Kaplan. He pleaded not guilty.“With the board member (Gimelstob), we know the situation. It’s pending,” said Federer.“We’re waiting to see what’s going to happen. I know him well. So we’ll see what the situation is there. “But it’s definitely interesting times, I’d like to call it, not bad times in our sport,” he added. “I think it’s maybe also a bit of a transition time. So it will be interesting to see what’s going to happen.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READ Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? View comments
Once known as the “Bad Boy from Dadiangas,” Navarrete was as popular for his ring exploits as for the controversies that chased him off the squared circle.Dy, one of the attractions in the historic Brave 22: Storm of Warriors card Friday night at MOA Arena in Pasay City, wants to show he’s made of different stuff.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“I’ll be honest, I was always an average student, I got my college degree because I had to. I was an average basketball player and an awful dancer. Fighting is what I really know, it’s what I love. Being able to be here and represent my country… it’s amazing,” said Dy.Dy impressed the crowd during the public workout Wednesday night at Newport Mall in Resorts World Manila. His father is one of boxing’s favorite cautionary tales. And Rolando Dy wants to prove to all that he’s a different man.A college degree holder from Lyceum of the Philippines University, the 28 year-old Dy is the son of Rolando Navarrete.ADVERTISEMENT Dy grew up estranged from his father but said his mother and uncle, who is a pastor, took care of him very well.“I can’t ask for more,” said Dy. He battles Pakistani fighter Mehmosh Reza in one of the main cards of Brave 22, a brainchild of Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa of Bahrain.In the main event, Filipino champion Stephen Loman clashes with French-Algerian challenger Elias “Smiling” Boudegzdame for the bantamweight title.ADVERTISEMENT Trump campaign, GOP groups attack Google’s new ad policy SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:58Pacquiao prepares for bout with ‘arrogant’ Keith Thurman00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting 1 dead, 3 injured in Quezon road crash P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed Hong Kong tunnel reopens, campus siege nears end MOST READ Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem Boonraksasat triumphs at S’woods View comments LATEST STORIES Urgent reply from Philippine football chief Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.