Magee Clothing has blamed Brexit for it having closed a distribution facility in Antrim and transferring the operation to Donegal.The company closed the Ballymena distribution facility which it set up almost 100 years ago ahead of the original October 31 deadline for Britain to leave the EU.Magee chairman Lynn Temple said the business was closed “due to the definite possibility of a no-deal Brexit and the punitive duties on clothing in and out of Northern Ireland, which would make its own retail outlets to wholesale customers in Ireland impossible to service”. He said tariffs of 12% would have applied under World Trade Organisation rules in the event of a no-deal Brexit.A spokesman said Magee retained a number of staff who worked at the Ballymena facility but declined to say how many jobs were lost at the site or the number of jobs created at the new distribution facility in Donegal.Mr Temple also blamed the uncertainties caused by Brexit for a 44% drop in profits to €159,755 at Magee Clothing Ltd last year.Magee generates most of its sales in the UK and Ireland. “Profits were down in 2018 due to Brexit-related uncertainties, additional costs arising from this and the ongoing development costs of on-line sales and start-up costs in own retailing,” said Mr Temple.“Total revenue is approximately the same for 2018 as for 2017, although affected by exchange rates,” he said.Magee’s online sales showed “encouraging year-on-year growth”, with sales growing in overseas markets such as the US, he said.Magee closes distribution plant blaming Brexit was last modified: November 14th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BrexitclosuredistributionMagee Clothingplant
Chelsea are interested in signing Uruguay international Álvaro Pereira from Porto, according to The People.Pereira, 26, is a left-sided player who can operate at full-back or further forward.It is claimed that Porto rate him at £23m and that Chelsea may offer £13m plus one of their young players.Meanwhile, the Sunday Mirror say Chelsea are keeping tabs on Newcastle’s Danny Simpson after he rejected a new contract at St James’ Park.The People also suggest that QPR manager Mark Hughes is considering signing David Bentley on loan from Tottenham next season.Bentley, who has been out of favour at Spurs for some time, played under Hughes at Blackburn.The England international currently has a knee injury but has been tipped to be fit for the start of next term.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
OAKLAND — The Warriors don’t seem to be fretting too much about that 134-111 blowout loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday at Oracle Arena. These things happen.The Warriors can sometimes play bored. Teams love to give the defending NBA champs their best shot. And in fairness to the Bucks, they are kind of good. Especially Giannis Antetokounmpo. No, instead Warriors fans are rightfully concerned about Stephen Curry, who missed the fourth quarter because of a left adductor strain. In lamen’s …
Internet of Things Makes it Easier to Steal You… David Curry Follow the Puck 27 percent of all homeowners in the United States have purchased an Internet of Things (IoT) device for their home, according to a new “smart home index” report.Wink, a home automation platform for hardware and software, published the report earlier this month. It shows a growing interest in the U.S. for smart home devices, though customers are still worried about the overall cost to make their home smart.See Also: Amazon makes it even cheaper for Alexa developers to use AWSA survey, conducted by Harris Poll, found that 71 percent of people wish they could monitor what is happening at home while they’re away. Home security was cited as the most important reason for in-home monitoring, followed by checking on pets and family members.One of the reasons smart home technology is not more prevalent has to do with the perceived cost of installation. In the Wink report, 34 percent of respondents said it would cost $5,000 to make their home smart, nine percent said it would cost $20,000.That is an extreme valuation, but it stems from the idea some consumers have that a smart home must be fully autonomous, or it is not that smart. In reality, a few smart devices can make a major difference on house valuation, security, and productivity.Renters interested, tooWink notes that the average user of its platform has spent $200 on four devices, and already has the benefits of a safer, more secure home. Even at the high-end of the smart home spectrum, $20,000 seems a bit steep for the devices currently on the market.It is not just homeowners that are looking to make their home smart, renters are interested too. The Wink report said that 36 percent of renters would pay five percent more per month to have connected devices in the house. That would add $750 to annual rent nationwide.Another advantage not considered by the report is insurance. Several home insurance firms have lowered prices for customers that own a Nest smoke detector and other smart home devices. Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Small Business Cybersecurity Threats and How to… Related Posts Tags:#Connected Devices#featured#Internet of Things#IoT#Smart Cities#smart home#top#wink
The Oscar envelopes and announcement cards that contain names of winners of the most coveted honour in movie industry are getting a facelift.Breaking away from a 70-year routine, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will this year use a glamourous gold envelope at the 83rd Academy Awards instead of the plain, white paper envelope, the kind available at any office supply store.”The envelopes are such an integral part of the Academy Awards, yet there has never been a dramatic, specially designed envelope and card to announce the Oscar recipients,” telecast producers Bruce Cohen and Don Mischer said in a statement.The new custom-designed, handcrafted keepsake envelopes and announcement cards have been made by Los Angeles-based custom stationer Marc Friedland. The envelopes are made of “iridescent” gold paper watermarked with little images of Oscar. It is lined with shiny red paper embossed with gold Oscars.The winner’s name appears on a heavy piece of lacquered red paper inside, with the category listed on front and back. The envelope will be sealed with a shiny red sticker adorned with two strips of red ribbon.”The Art Deco-inspired satin gold envelope will contain a heavyweight ecru card featuring gold foil accents and a gold leaf-embossed Oscar statuette along with the phrase – ‘And the Oscar goes to…’,” the statement said.The winner’s name on the announcement card would be printed in charcoal ink and mounted onto a matching, red lacquer hand-wrapped frame. The back of the card will be printed with the award category.advertisementTill now, the envelopes were printed on heavy cream-coloured stock, with plain block letters sporting the name of the category and, inside, the phrase ‘And the Oscar goes to’ and the winner’s name and film.The Academy has been using sealed envelopes for the last 70 years after a winner’s name had leaked out early once.Friedland, whose company Marc Friedland Couture Communications has designed high-end invitations for the past 25 years, said in spite of the Oscar envelope being the most “iconic” and “symbolic” envelope in the world, “it was funny that it was the most non-descript, office supply store bought” till now.”At the end of the day, the event is a celebration of an amazing accomplishment. We wanted to bring back the elegance and glamour. The design concept was to be timeless, regal and rich and luxe… the envelope serves as an iconic symbol of that moment,” Friedland added.Friedland got the envelope assignment two weeks ago.He took design cues from the look of this year’s Oscar set. He will prepare cards bearing the names of each of this year’s nominees. After the ballots are tabulated, partners at PricewaterhouseCoopers will prepare two complete sets of correct envelopes, and destroy the remaining cards.This year, the Academy is also returning to the phrase ‘And the Oscar goes to…’ after a one-year experiment with ‘And the winner is…’ to announce who wins the award.
Toronto Raptors guard Jeremy Lin (17)gets fouled on his way to the hoop by New York Knicks centre Mitchell Robinson (26) during first half NBA basketball action in Toronto, Monday, March 18, 2019. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP)TORONTO — The Toronto Raptors will likely have to wait a little longer to get their entire lineup healthy at the same time.Jeremy Lin scored 20 points, Fred VanVleet had 13 points and 12 assists for his first career double-double, and the Raptors beat the New York Knicks 128-92 on Monday night.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag MOST READ Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other “I watched the clip,” Lowry said. “I think it was a little bit dirty. He grabbed me and pulled me down. I don’t think he did it on purpose. I know he didn’t think he was going to hurt me.”Robinson, who fouled out with no points in 14 minutes, did not speak to reporters.Marc Gasol had 12 points and 11 rebounds, Pascal Siakam scored 19 points and OG Anonoby had 14 as Toronto reached 50 wins for the fourth straight season.Allonzo Trier scored 22 points and Kevin Knox had 12 as the Knicks lost big one day after Mario Hezona’s last-second block gave them a 124-123 home win over LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. New York, which has the worst record in the NBA at 14-57, lost for the ninth time in 10 games.“Toronto is going to be in that mix at the end,” Knicks coach David Fizdale said. “They’ve got all the ingredients to go after this thing. We took one on the chin tonight.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event With the Raptors playing the second game of a back-to-back, forward Kawhi Leonard was given the night off to rest. Leonard scored 33 points in Sunday’s loss at Detroit. VanVleet, who returned to the lineup Sunday after missing 12 games because of an injured left thumb, started in place of Leonard.With forward Serge Ibaka set to return from a three-game suspension Wednesday, Toronto looked set to have its whole roster available for the first time since the trade deadline. Instead, Lowry may be forced to miss at least one of this week’s two games against Oklahoma City. Toronto visits the Thunder on Wednesday before hosting them Friday.“I’ll be doing some treatment all night, trying to get myself healthy and try to get back and not be out long,” Lowry said.Toronto made 14 of 17 shots in a blistering first, including five of seven from long range, and led 38-29 after one. The Raptors led 73-54 at halftime. It was Toronto’s highest-scoring half of the season.After the Raptors opened the second half with an 8-0 run, Fizdale called timeout and removed all five starters.“Not getting it done, not playing at the level I wanted to see the game played at,” Fizdale said. “They understood. I think every guy that was out there owned it.”The change didn’t help, and Toronto took a 101-69 lead into the fourth.TIP-INSKnicks: G Dennis Smith Jr. missed his third straight game because of a sore lower back and F Noah Vonleh missed his second straight because of a sprained right ankle. … Fizdale said G Frank Ntilikina will be reevaluated Tuesday. Ntilikina has not played since Jan. 27 because of a sore groin. … Robinson has now recorded a block in 28 straight games, tying Patrick Ewing for the longest streak ever by a Knicks rookie.Raptors: Ikaba served the third and final game of his suspension for throwing a punch at Cleveland’s Marquese Chriss on March 11. … Toronto is 15-5 without Leonard. … Toronto’s 36 assists matched a season-high. The Raptors had more assists than the Knicks had made baskets (28). Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving David Beckham admits using phone while driving, police say Google Philippines names new country director ATLANTIC ACHIEVEMENTToronto is 8-0 at home against Atlantic Division opponents. The Raptors have won 31 straight home games against Atlantic foes. Their last home defeat to a division opponent was a Nov. 10, 2015, loss to the Knicks.WHOLE AT HALFToronto won its 18th straight game when leading at halftime, extending a franchise record.UP NEXTKnicks: Host Utah on Wednesday night.Raptors: At Oklahoma City on Wednesday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The victory came at a cost to the Raptors, who saw guard Kyle Lowry leave in the third quarter after suffering an injured right ankle. Lowry, who had 15 points and eight assists in 26 minutes, was back in the lineup after missing the previous two games because of a sore left ankle.Toronto coach Nick Nurse said Lowry’s latest injury was “not terribly bad,” although Lowry said after the game that his ankle was “pretty tender.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I’m able to walk, a little bit slower, but I’ll be all right,” Lowry said.New York rookie center Mitchell Robinson collided with Lowry while chasing a loose ball at 5:15 of the third, falling onto Lowry’s legs and taking the All-Star point guard down from behind. Lowry slapped the floor in pain and frustration before being helped to his feet and limping to the locker room. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants View comments