Staff from the National Sports Trust Limited (NSTL) say these were people who bought tickets on the street.”You can’t enter the gate with a fake ticket as the scanner checking tickets will pick it up. A hundred plus people have already been found out and sent away.”Some have even tried to enter with tickets that had been photocopied,” said one staff member.One of the people who was caught, John Kemba, says he bought his outer stand ticket in the morning from sellers just outside the stadium for K80 and had no idea it was fake.Thousands more people are still in line trying to get in. NSTL staff with the police are on full alert for people selling or trying to enter with fake tickets.
Rafinha put Barcelona in control with a brace of goals after Neymar, who excelled as Barcelona’s playmaker, hit the crossbar early. The Brazil midfielder won possession of the ball near Deportivo’s area before opening the score in the 21st and added a second in the 36th. Luis Suarez tied Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann as the league’s leading scorer – with six goals – just before half-time after Neymar threaded a pass into the area for the striker. Messi went on in the 55th to play for the first time since September 21. He scored on his third touch of the ball in the 58th. Deportivo, who had earned draws in their last two league visits to Camp Nou, lost Laureano “Laure” Sanabria to a direct red card for elbowing Neymar in the face in the 65th. Barcelona’s convincing win comes shortly before former Barcelona coach Guardiola comes home to Camp Nou at the helm of new club Manchester City for a highly anticipated European clash on Wednesday. “We played a great game. This is the perfect way to arrive at the match against City,” said Barcelona coach Luis Enrique, who calls Guardiola a friend. It was a night of big wins for all the top teams in La Liga, as Atletico Madrid winger Yannick Carrasco scored a hat-trick to keep Diego Simeone’s side at the top of the table by destroying Granada 7-1. Real Madrid stayed second on goal difference to Atletico after outclassing Real Betis 6-1 to end their run of four consecutive draws. Sevilla ended their long wait for an away victory to remain a point behind in third, and a point ahead of fourth-placed Barcelona. BARCELONA, Spain (AP): Three touches of the ball were all Lionel Messi needed to score for Barcelona yesterday, showing that he is ready to take on his former coach Pep Guardiola in the Champions League. Messi displayed no signs of rust after more than three weeks out of action with a right groin strain and scored inside of four minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute. The Argentine added to Barcelona’s 4-0 rout of Deportivo La Coruna, firing in a well-placed pass by Neymar in the Spanish league match. Leading scorer Highly anticipated
June Mar Fajardo had shadowed Kazakh big man Anton Bykov for much of the 24-second shot clock until Rustam Yergali got the step and made a beeline to the basket that the Filipino center attempted to defend.READ: Fiba World qualifiers: Gilas falls to Kazakhstan, drops to 3rd place tie JapanFEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissYergali eventually found Bykov who was standing mere feet away from the basket for the clutch layup which turned out to be Kazakhstan’s game-winning bucket with 12.7 seconds left to play.Marcio Lassiter’s three in the prior possession was able to trim the deficit to two, 90-88, with 26.1 seconds left but the Filipinos were unable to put up a defensive stop. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES READ: Gilas Pilipinas wary of Kazakhs’ 3-point shooting The Philippines will next face the no.2 team in Group F with a 6-3 record, giving the Filipinos a quick chance to get back on track.“There’s still a next game for us,” said Fajardo who had 14 points and 13 rebounds. “We have to win, but it won’t be that easy so we have to give it our all.”“This was a lesson learned for us but we shouldn’t put ourselves down too much because it might negatively affect us moving forward.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold PLAY LIST 06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold01:45Explosive Gilas Pilipinas not yet at its best, says Tim Cone00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netIt took only one shot for the Philippines to fall down from its throne of stability into a pit of uncertainty.Gilas Pilipinas lost to Kazakhstan 92-88 in the second round of the Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers to drop to a third-place tie with Japan at 5-4—a result that could’ve been prevented if not for one minor defensive lapse.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Fiba World qualifiers: Gilas falls to Kazakhstan, drops to 3rd place tie with Japan Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Fajardo admitted his mistake, but with just two days to until their next game against Iran, which has been even more crucial after this loss, there’s no time to dwell on the errors against the Kazakhs.READ: Gilas Pilipinas preparing for the worst against Kazakhstan“It hurts especially we’re on our home court. This is a lesson learned for us and we shouldn’t put ourselves down too much because of this loss,” said a dejected Fajardo in Filipino Friday at Mall of Asia Arena. “I helped out on the drive, that’s part of the game.”Gilas Pilipinas could’ve tied Iran at the second spot at 6-3, but the loss brought them into a perilous tie with Japan for the no.3 seed of Group F.Only the top three teams from Groups E and F and the better of the two fourth seeds will advance to the 2019 Fiba Basketball World Cup, but it’s imperative for Gilas to lock up at least the third seed of their group to avoid any complications for the remainder of the tournament.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ
Central Bank Governor Joseph Mills Jones has challenged members of the Village Savings and Loan Association (VISLA) and other borrowers to pay their debts to their creditors. According to Governor Jones, it is a responsibility of all borrowers to pay their debt in order to gain the respect of their creditors. “We must pay when we borrow so that we can prove to those who don’t trust us that we can pay our debt,” he said. The Central Bank Governor spoke in Kakata, Margibi County on June 21, 2014 where he delivered the keynote for the VSLA First National General Assembly which commenced on June 19. A new leadership for the VISLA was elected at the Association’s Apex Assembly including the national leadership and county chapter leaders. The Chairlady of VSLA Mrs. Josephine Nagbe and her executives as well as county chapter heads were inducted on Saturday. Governor Jones thanked the VSLA women who converged in Kakata from all 15 counties of Liberia for uniting to help raise their country out of poverty.“I am convinced that something is happening somewhere in this country because Liberians are now getting to believe in themselves. It means that we can set our task to do something and it can be done,” he said. The Governor emphasized that the VISLA are the women of Liberia in the towns and villages, adding “you are saying that with small support you can help yourselves and that you want to be active participants in the Liberian economy.” The CBL has disbursed millions of Liberian dollars in credit to registered Village Savings and Loan Associations from all 15 counties. The Bank has repeatedly reported that the loan scheme with the VSLA is yielding positive results. “Those that borrowed under the VSLA program are paying back the money with good interest,” said the CBL in a recent statement. According to the Central Bank boss, the General Assembly of the VSLA in Kakata showed that Liberians are working together. “Let us work together to make the difference rather than work to pull each other down. We will remain poor if we continue to pull each other down, and so we must do better as Liberians because our country is not at satisfactory leveled yet,” Dr. Jones noted. He reiterated the Central Bank’s commitment to continuing its loan scheme with Liberian, insisting that the program is the best way to raise the Liberian people out of poverty. “The VISLA program is not the end of the road. It is just the beginning to get big. Liberians are not destined for poverty. I know that we always have people who don’t believe in what we do. But the cure for poverty is vision and so we must work together. We must care for and put Liberia first. Moreover, we must pay when we borrow,” he stressed. The Chairlady of the VSLA, Mrs. Josephine Nagbe in her inaugural address thanked Governor Jones and the CBL for the loan scheme for the women-dominated VSLA. Mrs. Nagbe assured delegates and members of the VSLA that the CBL will not abandon the Association. “I can assure that the Governor and his team at the CBL attaches importance to this VSLA program. All we need to do is, be responsible and pay back our debt,” she said. Madam Irene George of the Consortium of VSLA Professionals in Liberia, for her part, said her dream and aspiration for the Association has come true. Madam George recalled how the VSLA was founded in 2007 to enhance financial access to women in business across the country. “Bravo Governor Jones I can assure you that we are here to support your effort,” she said. Earlier, the Board Chair of the Liberia National Credit Union Mr. J. Saye Biye said he is happy that majority of Liberians have seen the need to play a major role in their economy. According to Mr. Biye, it is a pity that Liberia still lingers in economic slavery despite the fact that the country is the oldest country that attained political independence in Africa.He challenged VSLA leadership and its members to support the vision of the CBL Governor and be responsible borrowers.Governor Jones and delegation were met on arrival in Kakata by hundreds of people including marketers, Yana boys, unionists, traditional leaders and county officials.The ceremony took place at the Margibi County Town Hall. Our reporter said the Town Hall was jam packed to capacity with a few hundred more people waiting outside just to take a glance and greet Governor Jones and delegate who arrived in the county at about noon.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Nineteen-year-old Chavez Torres of Moruca, North West District (NWD) was on Friday arraigned before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on an attempted murder charge alleging that on May 10, 2018, at Moruca, NWD, with intent to commit murder, he unlawfully and maliciously wounded Daryl Gomes.It has been alleged that, on the day in question, the victim was in the village when he was confronted by the accused, who dealt him several blows to his head with a hammer.The victim was hospitalized, and was discharged from a city hospital only a few days ago.Torres was not required to plead to the indictable offence, but Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield did not object to him being placed on bail. However, he requested that conditions be attached to the granting of bail. One such condition was for the accused to stay more than 50 feet away from the victim.Torres was placed on bail in the sum of $100, 000, and is expected to make his next court appearance on July 3.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The North Peace Eagles Ladies Hockey team will be hosting open ice times to recruit players for the upcoming season.Marissa Jordan of the North Peace Eagles says these ice times will be open for anyone who wants to come skate, get to know the team, or learn more about the season before committing.Time slots for open ice times will be Wednesday nights at 7:45 p.m. at the North Peace Arena on the following dates:September 18 – Open PracticeSeptember 25 – Open ScrimmageOctober 2 – Open PracticeOctober 16 – Open Practice- Advertisement -It is to note that anyone who is interested in participating in the on-ice sessions, must pay an insurance fee of $25.00 and have full gear.Jordan says for players who just want to learn the basics of hockey, they will also be using some of the practice ice throughout the season to run a “Learn to Play” program in partnership with Engage Sport North.For more information, you can call Marissa at 250-927-2176 or visit the North Peace Eagles’ Facebook page.Advertisement
AGUA DULCE – A small brush fire Monday morning near Vasquez Rocks drew a full response from firefighters worried that wind, low humidity and high temperatures would whip it into a wildfire. The blaze broke out shortly before 9 a.m. and burned just two acres near the southbound Antelope Valley (14) Freeway between Escondido Canyon Road and Agua Dulce Canyon Road, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Bill Minick said. Six engines and two helicopter crews doused the fire within an hour. Nobody was injured and no damage was reported, but traffic backed up on the northbound freeway where two lanes were closed to accommodate firefighting equipment. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A Red Flag warning – meaning heightened fire danger – was issued Sunday by the National Weather Service and will continue through at least this evening. email@example.com (661) 257-5251
Correction: The previous story stated Jean Von Hollen when it should have been Tony Von Hollen.TAYLOR, B.C. – The District of Taylor is forgiving the fees for the burial of the ashes of Tony Von Hollen who used to be a former Councillor and Mayor with the District of Taylor.But before they could go ahead with the decision, they had to make sure they could legally do it. Once that was cleared, they took the vote to council.- Advertisement -Mayor Rob Fraser said that with all the work he put in for the district, that he had no problem waiving the fees.He also asked that staff come back with a policy for forgiveness of costs for previous Mayor or Council members that sat on the board.
0Shares0000Manchester United midfielder Ashley Young’s displays have been sufficiently impressive to earn him a first England call-up since 2013LONDON, United Kingdom , Dec 31 – Manchester United wing-back Ashley Young was Sunday charged with violent conduct after he appeared to elbow Dusan Tadic during his side’s Premier League match against Southampton.The Football Association decided to take action after footage emerged of Young landing a blow on Tadic’s stomach area during Saturday’s goalless draw at Old Trafford. “Young’s charge follows an incident during Saturday’s game against Southampton which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video. He has until 5:00 pm today (1700 GMT) to respond,” an FA statement said.Young, who joined United from Aston Villa in 2011, returned to the England squad in November after a four-year international absence.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
“We have a brilliant generation of players who, like me, have to know that we can’t live on past glory.“Ahead of us is the World Cup, and we have to be at our best there.”Twenty years ago, Croatia reached the last four, being denied a World Cup final spot only by a Lilian Thuram-inspired France.Along the way a squad including Robert Prosinecki and Zvonimir Boban beat Jamaica, Japan, Romania then thumped Germany 3-0 in the quarter-finals.Davor Suker won the Golden Boot and Croatia matched Portugal’s 1966 team in becoming the only other side to finish third on their World Cup debut.Just seven years after independence, the team were lauded worldwide and decorated by their president on returning to Croatia.But from a glorious high there have been a number of lows.Since 1998 Croatia have disappointed at the World Cup, failing to even make it past the group stage once in that time. And in 2010 they failed to qualify for the tournament altogether.Now, a new generation, inspired by captain Luka Modric, have a chance to create history.Their three victories in Group D containing Argentina, Iceland and Denmark have led many to claim that Croatia could win the World Cup, especially in a tournament where there appears no outstanding favourite.The 3-0 rout of Argentina was especially impressive.It was arguably the stand-out team performance of the first round and inspired by Modric giving possibly the best individual display seen so far.In the haze of the eye-catching victory over the much-fancied South Americans, Dalic still had time to tell reporters that he wanted to better the 1998 performance.That win came in Nizhny Novgorod and it is there Croatia will return on Sunday to play their last-16 game against a Denmark side who have failed to impress, but notably are still unbeaten after emerging from Group C.Croatia are favourites to win that game and would then face either hosts Russia or Spain in the quarter-finals.But the ghosts of 1998 hang as heavy in the build-up as the merits of the Danish or their key midfielder Christian Eriksen.Modric’s midfield partner Ivan Rakitic said in the run-up to the Denmark game that the Croatia of 2018 wanted to be talked about as much as the Croatia of 1998.“We can achieve whatever they have achieved and even overcome them,” he told reporters from Croatia’s camp in Roscin.“We want in 20 years to talk about our generation, not about the generation of ’98.”Sunday is their first chance to do just that.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Croatia midfielder Luka Modric has been one of the stars of the tournament so far © AFP/File / Johannes EISELENIZHNIY NOVGOROD, Russian Federation, Jun 29 – Just weeks before the start of the World Cup, Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic identified a major problem with his team, their obsession with France 1998.“Croatia haven’t done well in a World Cup since France 1998, and going on our quality, we should have,” Dalic told one of the country’s main news programmes, Dnevnik Nove TV.